Sunday, November 19, 2006

Swedish Shopping Update

Shopping in Sweden can be quite expensive! Although the US dollar is worth approx. 7 of theirs - spending hundreds of kronnors just doesn't sit well with my frugal mind. Plus, they have a VAT (country tax) of 25% that applies to most everything! So imagine those pair of boots you bought at the beginning of fall and add 25% to the cost of them.....The cool thing about downtown Stockholm is that everything is in walking distance - the stores open at 11am on weekends and close at 5pm, so there's plenty of time to scout out bargains, people watch and grab a latte or french hot dog (which if I may add are quite tasty)

I was expecting Stockholm to have a completely distinct fashion style of their own - while a few style differences apply, they enjoy many of the trends that we do in the States! Some of the major differences that I see is that men tend to wear their clothing A LOT more fitted than ours do - they are slender and lean and like most of what they wear lean fitting as well. The women here have crowned the boots trend - there are tons of styles from slouch to updated cowboy and wedge styles...I splurged on a pair of tan rhinestone boots - can't wait to upload the photos! Because of the fall chill, layering of course if very big. Plus size divas, however, would have a hard time finding much of anything of interest in the shops.

Although I don't speak a lick of Swedish, I do speak "Shopping Talk" and it was very easy to learn where the sales were and what 30-50% OFF means in another language :-D

Anyhoo, I've spent more Swedish kronnors that I can track - even though items are more expensive here than in the States, what am I supposed to do all day BUT shop? ;-)

Chat again soon!

No comments: